Why vote? What difference would my one individual vote make?
Far too many people ask these questions and never get an answer. Here are a few reasons why one vote does matter and why YOU should register to vote.
History shows that one vote can make a difference. Your vote can be that vote. Register now! Download a Voter Registration Form HERE! The voter registration form is also available in the Kauai phone book.
- John F. Kennedy would have been defeated by Richard Nixon in the 1960 election if ONE VOTE per precinct in Illinois had been changed.
- ONE VOTE changed France from a monarchy to a republic in 1875.
- An average of only ONE VOTE per precinct passed Women's Suffrage in California in 1911.
- ONE VOTE made Texas part of the U.S. in 1845.
You cannot register to vote online. You must print out a form and mail it to:
4396 Rice Street, Room 106
Lihue, HI 96766
You Can Register to Vote If...
- You will be 18 by the September 20th, 2008 to vote in the primary, or by November 4, 2008 to vote in the general. (you must be 18 by election day to vote).
- You are a U.S. citizen. You are not in jail or on parole for a felony conviction.
- You do not claim the right to vote elsewhere.
You Can Vote In the Primary Election or General Election If...
- You meet all the criteria listed above.
Please note! You must have been registered to vote by August 21nd, 2008 at 4:30 PM to be eligible to vote in the September primary.
The deadline to register for the November general election is October 6th, 2008 at 4:30 PM.
Recall the hundreds, if not thousands, of civil rights pioneers who suffered, bled and died for you to have the almost distinctly American right to participate in a democracy.
Don't have the Acrobat Reader? Click on the Get Acrobat button to download the software:
Adobe, Acrobat, the Get Acrobat logo, and the PDF logo are trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated.
- Jay Furfaro for Kauai County Council -